Hickory Creek Restoration

Hickory_Creek

Builder: Pullman Standard Car Mfg. Co.
Type: 5 Bedroom, Lookout Observation Lounge
Built: August 1948
Original Owner: Pullman Company
Storage Location: Boonton, NJ
History: This car was christened on September 15, 1948 in Grand Central Terminal, New York City. General Dwight D. Eisenhower officiated the celebration of the New York Central Railroad’s rebuilt 20th Century Limited train entering service between New York and Chicago. During it’s 20 years of service, the Hickory Creek graced the rear end of the “most famous train in the world” and was used in advertisements, promotions, and Hollywood’s finest movies to reflect a standard of excellence in premier rail travel. In 1968, it was retired and sold to Ringling Brothers, Barnum & Bailey Circus. URHS of NJ obtained the car in 1991 and contracted Star Trak. to rebuild the car to Amtrak standards. Its inaugural trip was run on June 26,2005 between New York and Niagara Falls. It is currently available for charter through Luxury Rail Vacations, Inc.

Detailed history of the Hickory Creek


Below is a copy of the slide presentation that summarized the restoration of this car. Click to enlarge!

page01

page02

page03

page04

page05

page06page07page08

page09page10

page11

page12

page13

page14

page15

page16

page17

page18

page19

page20

page21

page22page23

page24

page25

page26

page27

Comments are closed.