URHS equipment roster – click on items below for details

Locomotives in quotation marks are representative paint schemes.

Locomotives
NYC 4076 E8A
NYC 4083 E8A
NJDOT 4253 E8A
“EL 835″ E8A
“LV 576″ F7A
“LV 578″ F7A
“Erie 715″ F7A
“Reading 284″ F7A
PRR 7000 GP9
CNJ 1523 GP7
CNJ 1524 GP7
Locomotives
NJDOT 3372 U34CH
PRR 4877 GG1
PRR 4879 GG1
Erie 436 SW9
EL 438 SW9
Reading 492 RS3
B&O 412 VO1000
RV 16, 17 GE 70 Ton
NJT 958 E60
PSEG 100 GE 100 Ton
NYC 9121 FM H-12-44
Passenger Cars
Hickory Creek
NYC 37
NYC 43
CNJ 556 RDC-1
CNJ 1172
CNJ 1173
CNJ 1178
PRR 413
PRR 1547
PRR 1715, 1734
PRR 9286 Baggage car
Passenger Cars
DL&W 2406 MU
DL&W 2541 MU
PRSL M-402, 408 RDC-1
NYS&W M-1 RDC-1
URHS 317
URHS 326
URHS 327
URHS 329, 331-334
NJT 1701, 1721
DL&W 3200 MU
Freight Cars
NYC 47002 Box Car
NYC 48085 Box Car
CNJ 24165 Box Car
NYS&W 526 Box Car
SRLX 025048 Refrig Box Car
URHS 34064 Flat Car
PRR 469521 Flat Car
DL&W 19525 covered hopper
AESX 2617 Tank Car


New York Central Railroad # 4076
Builder: Electro-Motive Div. of GM
Model: E8A – 1,125 HP
Built: July 1953, # 18534
Storage Location: Boonton, NJ

History: NYC 4076, formerly NJ Transit 4323 was acquired by NJDOT from Conrail on December 2, 1976. It was rebuilt in March 1980 and was the second of three E8s rebuilt at Conrail’s Elizabethport, NJ shop. It served until 1982 when it was retired from passenger service. It was modified in 1983 for use in the M&E re-electrification and was stored soon thereafter. Since it was equipped with a generator set for HEP coaches in place of one of its prime mover diesel engines, it has half the horsepower of the other E8 locomotives. The unit was painted in the Erie Railroad color scheme in November 1990 through funds from URHS and the Jersey Central Railway Historical Society. Soon it will be restored again as New York Central Railroad # 4076.


Erie Lackawanna # 835
Builder: Electro-Motive Div. of GM
Model: E8A – 2,250 HP
Built: May 1952, # 15653
Storage Location: Boonton, NJ

History: This locomotive is former NJ Transit 4248 acquired by NJDOT, from Conrail on December 2, 1976 – originally Pennsylvania Railroad, No. 5788A. It was the first of three E8 locomotives completely rebuilt at Conrail’s Elizabethport, NJ shop, completed in October 1979. It was one of the three E8s that pulled a September 13, 1987 excursion from Hoboken to Bayhead and return, commemorating the end of E8 powered service on the North Jersey Coast Line. The unit was painted in the color scheme of the Erie RR in April, 1991. The URHS raised the money to repaint this locomotive for it to be used on an on-going basis to pull excursions in support of the future Railroad and Transportation Museum. It will be restored in 2008 as Erie Lackawanna Railway 835.


 

New York Central Railroad # 4083
Builder: Electro-Motive Div. of GM
Model: E8A – 2,250 HP
Built: August 1953, # 18541
Storage Location: Boonton, NJ

History: New York Central 4083 NYC 4083 is a one-of-a-kind locomotive that New York Central had painted in the experimental “Century Green” paint scheme. It was one one of three units, in an A-B-A set which received the same treatment. In search of a new simplified paint scheme in 1060-61 to replace the “lightning stripe” scheme, the NYC commissioned three new test schemes which were black, gray, and “Century Green.” The decision was made to go with dark gray. “Century Green” eventually became the standard color for the NYC’s freight equipment. According to NYC Chief Mechanical Officer John Reehling, “The dark grey gave the best appearance. There was not enough stenciling as on a box car to break up the wide expanse of just plain green.” Later in life, it was the last E8 locomotive painted in the Penn Central black livery to run in New Jersey service and was the third and last E8 to be completely rebuilt at Conrail’s Elizabethport, NJ shop, completed in August 1981. It is an important artifact to tell both the story of the New York Central, and the story of railroading it New Jersey. It was donated to the museum collection in 1995 and is being restored to the one-of-a-kind “Century Green” paint scheme.


NJ DOT # 4253
Builder: Electro-Motive Div. of GM
Model: E8A – 2,250 HP
Built: June 1952, # 15663
Storage Location: Boonton, NJ

History: NJDOT 4253 was former Penn Central 4258 acquired by NJDOT from Conrail in December, 1976. It was one of ten NJDOT E8’s rebuilt at the Illinois Central Gulf RR Paducah, KY shop and the fifth returned to NJDOT (September 1978). Originally Pennsylvania Railroad, No. 5798A. It was the lead unit on September 13, 1987 when it powered an excursion from Hoboken to Bayhead and return commemorating the end of E8 powered service on the North Jersey Coast Line. Added to the museum collection in 1991, this locomotive has been restored to its last operational appearance.


PRR 4877
Builder: PRR/Westinghouse Corp.
Model: GG-1 – 4,620 HP
Built: January 1939, # 4346
Storage Location: Boonton, NJ

History: Locomotive 4877 was repainted from solid black to “tuscan red” in 1981 as a result of an effort to have an operating GG-1 reminiscent of the Pennsylvania RR in everyday service. This project was a success because of cooperation between the Jersey Central Railway Historical Society and NJ Transit. Sister Locomotive 4879 was the last GG-1 to pull a revenue passenger train in New Jersey. These locomotives served in New York to South Amboy service until retirement in September 1983. They were donated to the museum effort in 1991. 4877 has been restored to its original 1939 “Brunswick Green” scheme.


PRR 4879
Builder:PRR/Westinghouse Corp.
Model: GG-1 – 4,620 HP
Built: February 1939, # 4348
Storage Location: Boonton, NJ

History: Locomotive 4879 was the last GG-1 to pull a revenue passenger train in New Jersey. It served in New York to South Amboy service until retirement in October 1983. It was donated to the museum effort in 1991. It is currently in very poor condition and may be beyond restoration. If retained in the collection, 4879 will be restored to the second PRR “Brunswick Green” scheme (with the large keystone).


NJDOT 3372
Builder: General Electric
Model: U34CH – 3,430 HP
Built: April 1971, # 37950
Storage Location: Passaic, NJ

History:Originally purchased by the New Jersey Deptartment of Transportation (aka NJDOT) and used on commuter routes radiating out of Hoboken, this type of locomotive was the first to utilize shaft driven head end power for providing electricity to the passenger cars for heat and air conditioning, and was the predecessor of this methodology currently used by Amtrak and other passenger carrying authorities. All U34CH’s were retired by 1994 and sold to Conrail, with the exception of 4172 (ex-3372) which is part of the URHS of NJ collection destined for the New Jersey Transportation Heritage Center.


Erie 715
Builder: Electro-Motive Div. of GM
Model: F7A – 1,500 HP
Built: July 1949, # 8550
Storage Location: East Amwell Twp., NJ

History: NJ Transit acquired this locomotive from the Chicago & Northwestern RR (# 4073A, nee 418) in 1983 and utilized it as New Jersey Transit No. 418, primarily from Hoboken to Dover and Waldwick. It was retired in 1985, stored and donated to the museum collection in 1991. It will be restored to represent an Erie Railroad locomotive of the same type that operated through north eastern New Jersey to and from Weehawkin and Secaucus.


Reading 284
Builder: Electro-Motive Div. of GM
Model: F7A – 1,500 HP
Built: October 1949, # 8552
Storage Location: Boonton, NJ

History:NJ Transit acquired this locomotive from the Chicago & Northwestern RR, (# 4074A, nee 424) in 1983 and utilized it as No. 424 primarily from Hoboken to Dover and Waldwick. It was retired in 1985, stored and donated to the museum collection in 1991. It has been restored to represent a Reading Company locomotive of the same type that operated through central New Jersey between Jersey City, Port Reading and points south and west.


LV 576
Builder: Electro-Motive Div. of GM
Model: F7A – 1,500 HP
Built: July 1949, # 8551
Storage Location: Tuckahoe, NJ

History: NJ Transit acquired this locomotive from the Chicago & North Western Railroad (No. 4073C) in 1983 as No. 417 and utilized it primarily in commuter service from Hoboken to Dover and Waldwick. It was retired in 1985, stored and donated to the museum collection in 1991. In May 1991, URHS leased the 417 to Metro-North Commuter RR for service in NY State with the proviso that it be restored and returned to NJ in dependable operating condition. It was overhauled and repainted to represent a Lehigh Valley RR locomotive of the same type that once ran through New Jersey. It is currently operated by Cape May Seashore Lines.


LV 578
Builder: Electro-Motive Div. of GM
Model: F7A – 1,500 HP
Built: December 1949, # 10151
Storage Location: Tuckahoe, NJ

History: NJ Transit acquired this locomotive from the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad (No. 4087C) in 1983 as Nos. 420 and utilized it primarily in commuter service from Hoboken to Dover and Waldwick. It was retired in 1985, stored and donated to the museum collection in 1991. In May 1991, URHS leased the 420 to Metro-North Commuter RR for service in NY state with the proviso that it be restored and returned to NJ in dependable operating condition. It was overhauled and repainted to replicate a Lehigh Valley RR locomotive of the same type that once ran through New Jersey. It is currently operated by Cape May Seashore Lines.


CNJ 1523
Builder: Electro-Motive Div. of GM
Model: GP7 – 1,500 HP
Built: November 1952, # 17101
Storage Location: Tuckahoe, NJ

History: Central Railroad of New Jersey (CNJ) primarily utilized the GP7 fleet in passenger service between Jersey City and Bay Head, between Jersey City and Raritan, and between Matawan and Atlantic Highlands before delivery of the Budd built Rail Diesel Cars for that latter service. This GP7 became Conrail No. 5681 upon the CNJ inclusion in Conrail in 1976, but in December 1976, it was acquired by the NJDOT. 5681 was donated to URHS of NJ by NJ Transit in 1997. It was subsequently leased to the BR&W in return for storage space and was repainted to its original CNJ paint scheme and number in 1998. In 2004 it was leased to Cape May Seashore Lines to be maintained and used from time to time.


CNJ 1524
Builder: Electro-Motive Div. of GM
Model: GP7 – 1,500 HP
Built: November 1952, # 17102
Storage Location: Boonton, NJ

History: The Central Railroad of New Jersey (CNJ) primarily utilized the GP7 fleet in passenger service between Jersey City and Bay Head, between Jersey City and Raritan, and between Matawan and Atlantic Highlands before delivery of the Budd built Rail Diesel Cars for that latter service. This GP7 became a Conrail locomotive, and in December, 1976, it was acquired by the NJDOT and renumbered 5902 before being transferred to NJ Transit ownership. It served as one of the two locomotives to pull the last passenger train on the Highbridge Branch. After its retirement, it was donated to the museum collection by NJ Transit in 1993. It was returned to its original livery in November, 1996 by the Jersey Central Railway Historical Society, Inc.


PRR 7000
Builder: Electro-Motive Div. of GM
Model: GP9 – 1,750 HP
Built: October 1955, # 20704
Storage Location: Tuckahoe, NJ

History: This locomotive was the first GP9 locomotive built for the Pennsylvania Railroad. It was maintained at Conway while serving the PRR. After the formation of Conrail, it was still maintained at Conway but roamed east to New Jersey from time to time. Its last Conrail duty was that of a yard switcher at the Elizabethport shops. When the passenger service assets were transferred to NJ Transit, this locomotive became the property of the latter on January 1, 1983. It continued in its same role even after NJ Transit opened the MMC and abandoned the use of Elizabethport. Upon its retirement in 1995, it was donated to URHS as part of the museum collection. It has been leased to the Cape May Seashore Lines who has had it restored to its as built appearance.


Reading 492
Builder: American Locomotive Co. (ALCO)
Model: RS3 – 1,600 HP
Built: 1952, # 80110
Storage Location: Boonton, NJ

History: This locomotive was used in freight service by the Reading RR (Reading Company) and frequently saw service on the Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines in south Jersey. On October 26, 1973, it was sold to the United Railway Supply of Montreal, Quebec and subsequently acquired by the Roberval & Saguenay Railway as their No. 31. By the late 1970s, it was acquired by the Delaware Otsego System and renumbered as the Fonda, Johnstown & Gloversville 103, but painted in the attractive maroon scheme of the DO System. The locomotive was acquired from the General Electric Company by the URHS in 1989. In the fall of 1991, the locomotive was restored into the original Reading Company livery by Tony Zisa with help from the members of the Bergen-Rockland Chapter of the NRHS.


B&O 412
Builder: Baldwin Locomotive Company
Model: VO 1000 – 1,000 HP
Built: 1945, # 71430
Storage Location: Logan Township, NJ

History: The following NJ railroads owned this model diesel locomotive: Baltimore & Ohio, Reading, NY Central, Pennsylvania, Jersey Central and Lehigh Valley. This particular locomotive was used at the U.S. Navy’s Earle Naval Weapons Station as U.S. Navy, No. 19. Upon donation to the URHS of NJ by the government, it was agreed that it would not reflect its prior ownership. Therefore, it has been restored as Baltimore & Ohio Number 412 to simulate one of the B&O locomotives of that type that performed freight interchange duties between the Jersey Central, Reading and Baltimore & Ohio railroads. It has been leased to SMS Rail Services as a display locomotive.


Erie 436
Builder: Electro-Motive Div. of GM
Model: SW9 – 1,200 HP
Built: April 1952, # 15934
Storage Location: Ringoes, NJ

History: This switching locomotive served the Erie Railroad in the New Jersey and western New York areas. It became the property of the Erie Lackawanna Railway when the Erie Railroad and Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad merged in 1960. When the Erie Lackawanna Railway became part of Conrail in 1976, this unit was transferred to the New Jersey Department of Transportation. It served NJDOT and NJ Transit until 1995, when it was donated to URHS of NJ for the heritage center collection. URHS of NJ has leased it to the Black River Historic Trust. Unit is painted in its original Erie paint scheme.


EL 438
Builder: Electro-Motive Div. of GM
Model: SW9 – 1,200 HP
Built: April 1952, # 15936
Storage Location: Metro Albany, NY

History: This locomotive became the property of the Erie Lackawanna Railway when the Erie Railroad and Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad merged in 1960. When the Erie Lackawanna Railway became part of Conrail in 1976, this unit was transferred to New Jersey Department of Transportation. It served NJDOT and NJ Transit until 1995, when it was donated to the heritage center collection. It will be restored to its former Erie Lackawanna paint scheme. In 2001, it was leased to SMS Rail Services who will restore it to operating condition and return it painted in the Erie Lackawanna color scheme.


Rahway Valley 16, 17
Builder: General Electric
Model: 70 Ton – 600 HP
Built: ’51 & ’54, #’s 30838 & 32130
Storage Location: Whippany, NJ

History: These two units were acquired by the Rahway Valley Railway as replacements for steam power, and served between Summit and Cranford. In April 1986 the Rahway Valley was acquired by the Delaware & Otsego System. These engines were obtained from the Delaware & Otsego System subsidiary NYS&W for the URHS museum collection in 1995. They have been leased to the Whippany Railway Museum to be cosmetically restored and displayed there.


NJ Transit 958
Builder: GE Transportation Systems
Model: E-60 – 6,000 HP
Built: 1975
Storage Location: Boonton, NJ

History:In 1984, with the arrival of AEM-7 electrics on Amtrak, most of their E60 fleet went into storage. This unit was one of the E60’s that were sold to the New Jersey Transit corporation on January 13th 1984. Amtrak 958 became NJT 958. All New Jersey Transit E60’s were scrapped by 1998 except 958 which was held for preservation. NJ Transit donated 958 to the URHS in 19xx.


Click for picture

PSEG 100
Builder: General Electric
Model: GE 100 Ton – 600 HP
Built: October 1958, # 33481
Storage Location: Boonton, NJ

History: This unit was acquired by Public Service Electric & Gas (# 100) aka PSE&G as a switcher in their Bergen Generating Plant property in Ridgefield Park, New Jersey. This locomotive presently has only one of the two motors operational. It will be painted in a fresh coat of blue and yellow like it wore its entire life at PSE&G. Our plan is to use it as the Boonton yard switcher.


NYC-9121
Builder: Fairbanks-Morse
Model: H-12-44 – 1,200 HP
Built: May 1952, # 12L613
Storage Location: Logan Township, NJ

History: Original Owner was New York Central RR 9121, US Steel 9121. NYC 9121 is a Fairbanks Morse H-12-44 and is the only FM in our almost 100 piece collection. It was built in 1952 and served the New York Central and Penn Central before being sold to be used as a plant switcher at US Steel in Morrisville, PA. The engine was saved from scrap before it arrived at SMS by a stroke of luck. On its way to the scrapper it derailed and crews could not get it back on the rails (not for lack of trying!) After being left for some time, it was acquired by SMS and donated to the URHS collection. The metal New York Central Railroad oval is still attached to the handrail.


PRSL M-402, M-408
Builder: Budd Company
Model: RDC-1 – ~600 HP
Built: Sept. 25, ’50, May 31, ’51, #5101, #107
Storage Location: Tuckahoe, NJ

History: These self propelled Rail Diesel Cars predominantly served between Philadelphia, Atlantic City, Cape May and Wildwood. Originally owned by Pennsylvania Reading Seashore Lines they were sold to NJDOT in October 1969, numbered 5180 and 5185. In May 1980, the RDC’s were refurbished at the Reading, PA shops. In April 1987, they were leased to the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority where they were used as coaches and pulled by a diesel locomotive. In August 1988, they were returned to NJ Transit and stored unserviceable. They were donated to the URHS in 1991. M-408 is the first RDC constructed with cast trucks. One of the two will be restored in “as built” condition and be utilized on the Cape May Seashore Lines for carrying tourists to Cape May from outlying parking locations. The other will be rebuilt and utilized as a trailer to support the same service.


CNJ 556
Builder: Budd Company
Model: RDC-1 – ~600 HP
Built: November 30, 1956, #6516
Storage Location: Boonton, NJ

History: While owned by the Central Railroad of New Jersey aka CNJ, its predominant service was on the Matawan to Atlantic Highland shuttle train and on the Newark and Elizabeth Branch. In December 1973, the 556 was rebuilt at the CNJ Elizabethport Shop and in 1974, it was sold to the NJ Department of Transportation. This RDC was one of the two that were assigned to the last run of the Cranford to Bayonne shuttle on August 5, 1978, thus ending all passenger service on the ex-CNJ trackage east of Cranford. The RDC was donated to the museum collection in 1991 and is currently stored.


NYS&W M-1
Builder: Budd Company
Model: RDC-1 – ~600 HP
Built: October 16, 1950, # 5006
Storage Location: Carpenterville, NJ

History: In April 1954, this RDC was sold to the Central RR of NJ. Later (date?) it was sold to the New York, Susquehanna & Western Railroad. It was rebuilt by General Electric in December 1974. In April 1987, it was leased to the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority. In August 1988, it was returned to NJ Transit who donated it to the museum collection in 1991. The RDC has been operationally and cosmetically restored by New York, Susquehanna & Western Technical and Historical Society who uses it for excursion service.


DL&W 2406
Builders: Pullman Co, ACF, Barney & Smith
Model: MU Electric Cars
Built: 1912 thru 1931
Storage Location: Holland, NJ

History: Delaware, Lackawanna & Western RR No. 2406 is a low roof combination baggage and passenger trailer, built by Pullman Co. as No.433, between 1917 and 1925. In 1960, it was renumbered 3406. It has a seating capacity of 58.


DL&W 2541
Builders: Pullman Co, ACF, Barney & Smith
Model: MU Electric Cars
Built: 1912 thru 1931
Storage Location: Holland, NJ

History: Delaware, Lackawanna & Western RR No. 2541 was one of 141 motor equipped multiple unit coaches, built in 1931 and operating with 3000 Volts D.C. It seats 84. It was renumbered 3541 in 1960. Length of this cars is 70′ 1 1/2″ over buffers, height is 12′ 11″. This cars were capable of accelerating a train at 1.5 mph/sec and could reach a top speed of 63 mph on level track, but could exceed 70 mph on suitable downgrades. Equipped with a pair of roof pantographs that when raised drew electric power from over head wires. Car pulled electric trailer coaches operated by a motorman. Renumbered to 3541 after merger with Erie created the Erie-Lackawanna Railroad. Retained #3541 through service with the E-L, Conrail and New Jersey Transit Authority. New Jersey Transit donated the car to the URHS in 198?.


PRR 413
Builder: PRR, Altoona Shops
Model: MU Electric Car MP-54
Built: 1913
Storage Location: Holland, NJ

History: Originally Pennsylvania Railroad No. 702 this coach was converted to an MU in 1950. At the peak of PRR commuter operations, there were approximately four hundred MP54s in service including a variety of combine, RPO, and trailer cars. After World War II, a number of MP54’s were rebuilt at the PRR Wilmington, DE shops. The MP54’s operated on Penn Central, New Jersey DOT, and SEPTA through 1981. The North Jersey Electric Railway Historical Society purchased the car for eventual display at a future transportation museum and subsequently donated it to the URHS collection.


Hickory Creek
Builder: Pullman Standard Car Mfg. Co.
Model: 5 Bedroom, Lookout Observation Lounge
Built: August 1948
Storage Location: Boonton, NJ

History: Originally owned by the Pullman Company, this car and was christened on September 15, 1948 in Grand Central Terminal, New York City. General Dwight D. Eisenhower officiated the celebration of the New York Central Railroad’s rebuilt 20th Century Limited train entering service between New York and Chicago. During it’s 20 years of service, the Hickory Creek graced the rear end of the “most famous train in the world” and was used in advertisements, promotions, and Hollywood’s finest movies to reflect a standard of excellence in premier rail travel. In 1968, it was retired and sold to Ringling Brothers, Barnum & Bailey Circus. URHS of NJ obtained the car in 1991 and contracted Star Trak. to rebuild the car to Amtrak standards. Its inaugural trip was run on June 26, 2005 between New York City and Niagara Falls. It is currently available for charter through Luxury Rail Vacations, Inc.


NYC 43
Builder: Budd Company
Model: Lounge
Built: 1947
Storage Location: Boonton, NJ

History: Originally owned by the New York Central Railroad, No. 43 was one of 13 Tavern Lounge cars (Nos. 35-47) utilized over the New York Central’s fleet of long distance trains. After the Penn Central merger in 1965, the 43 was renumbered (4443) and served on many trains between New York and Washington. Upon the formation of Conrail in 1976 the car was assigned to the North Jersey Coast Line service operated by Conrail and later, NJ Transit. It was retired in 1987 and NJ Transit donated it to the museum collection in 1991. It suffered extreme vandalism while in storage, but has now been completely restored to it’s “as-built” configuration and ran its first trip as an Amtrak certified car from New York to Washington and back on January 9, 2010 and again on January 13, 2010. It is currently available for charter by Luxury Rail Vacations, Inc.


PRR 1547
Builder: Budd Company
Model: 21 Roomette Sleeper
Built: ’49 Class PS21B, Rebuilt ’63 Class P85L
Storage Location: Boonton, NJ

History: Originally Owned by the Pennsylvania Railroad as their “Cambridge Inn” it was subsequently renumbered to 1547 when rebuilt to a coach by General Electric in 1963, to 5410 in 1980. It was originally painted in PRR Tuscan Red as “Cambridge Inn” and was the last of 48 cars converted from 21 Roomette Sleepers to coaches. It was temporarily used as an “open window” coach on the 614 steam locomotive excursions in 1996 through 1998. It is being restored.


NYC 37
Builder: Budd Company
Model: Tavern Lounge
Built: 1947
Storage Location: Tuckahoe, NJ

History: Originally owned by the New York Central Railroad, No. 37 was one of 13 Tavern Lounge cars (Nos. 35-47) utilized over the New York Central’s fleet of long distance trains. Car No. 37 was frequently used on the “Commodore Vanderbuilt” and the “Southwestern Limited” through the 1950’s. With the downturn of long distance rail travel in the 1960’s, lounge cars were removed from the trains and were stored or added to commuter trains as “smoking/bar” cars. After the Penn Central merger in 1965, the tavern-lounge cars were renumbered (37 to 4437) and served on many trains between New York and Washington. Upon the formation of Conrail in 1976, the cars became available for service on the North Jersey Coast Line and many, including No. 37 (4437) were assigned to that service until 1984. No. 4437 was renumbered to 5450 by NJ Transit and was to be rebuilt to accompany NJT #1 as an additional “official” inspection car, but other priorities curtailed that effort. The car was retired in 1984 and stored in Plainfield, NJ until donated to the United Railroad Historical Society of New Jersey in 1991. URHS had 5450 remodeled and modernized with a 480 volt pass through system to operate with NJ Transit’s modern Comet II fleet. It was also fitted with a generator and furnace to provide its own amenities without dependence on another car or locomotive. It was used by the URHS as a multi-use convertible car for excursion service until 1997, and is currently in use on Cape May Seashore Lines as a food service /concession /parlor car. It has been re-lettered to its original New York Central markings.


PRR 1715, 1734
Builder: American Car & Foundary
Model: Parlor car P-70
Built: 1925
Storage Location:

History: Original Owner was the Pennsylvania Railroad.


CNJ 1172
Builder: Bethlehem Steel Company
Model: Coach
Built: 1925
Storage Location: Winslow Junction, NJ

History: Originally owned by the Central Railroad of New Jersey This car was built for service on the Blue Comet passenger train. The Blue Comet was a deluxe all coach train that ran from Jersey City to Atlantic City. The 1172 was named the Westphal for one of the comets. The Blue Comet was discontinued in 9/41 due to low ridership and after the train’s discontinuance, the coach was utilized in commuter service. The 1172 was renamed the Tamaqua and was predominantly used on the ex-CNJ Raritan Valley Line. Eventually, the car will be returned to the Blue Comet livery and will be operated.


CNJ 1173
Builder: Bethlehem Steel Company
Model: Coach
Built: 1925
Storage Location: Winslow Junction, NJ

History: Originally owned by the Central Railroad of New Jersey This car was built for service on the Blue Comet passenger trains. The Blue Comet was a deluxe all coach train that ran from Jersey City to Atlantic City.. The 1173 was originally named the D’Arrest after one of the astrological comets. The Blue Comet was discontinued in 9/41 due to low ridership. After the train’s discontinuance, the coaches were utilized in commuter service. The 1173 was renamed the Beachcomber and was predominantly used on the North Jersey Coast Line, but saw service on the ex-CNJ Raritan Valley Line. It will be returned to the Blue Comet livery and will be operated.


CNJ 'DeVico' #1178 May-23-2009 Boonton, NJ

CNJ 1178
Builder: Bethlehem Steel Company
Model: Observation
Built: 1925
Storage Location: Boonton, NJ

History: Originally owned by the Central Railroad of New Jersey This car was rebuilt by the CNJ for service on the Blue Comet passenger trains which operated from 1929 through most of 1941. The Blue Comet was a deluxe blue and cream all coach train that ran from Jersey City to Atlantic City. The 1178 was originally named the DeVico after one of the astrological comets. It was one of three identical observation cars rebuilt for Blue Comet service. After the train’s discontinuance, the coaches were repainted green and used in commuter service. The 1178 was renamed the Monmouth II in 1968 and was the last open platform car in regular service in the United States. In 1982, it was converted to an inspection car (NJT 1) by NJ Transit and was removed from service in 1993 as the result of an accident. It was donated to URHS for the NJ Transportation Museum collection in 2003. It will be restored either as the “Monmouth II” or as the “DeVico” when funds become available.


URHS 317
Builder: Pullman Standard
Model: Coach, 48 Seat
Built: 1950
Storage Location: Tuckahoe, NJ

History: Originally owned by the Great Northern Railway, No. 1216 This coach operated on the railroad’s Empire Builder and Western Star, both premier passenger trains between Chicago and Seattle. In 1970 the Great Northern merged with three other railroads to become the Burlington Northern. The NJ Department of Transportation purchased this car from the BN in 1972 for use on the North Jersey Coast Line. The car was converted to a seating capacity of 106. It was last used in regular service in September 1987 and was donated to the museum collection in 1991. Using funds from a 1997 ISTEA grant car number 317 has been restored and is in service.


URHS 326
Builder: American Car & Foundary
Model: Coach, 60 Seat
Built: 1950
Storage Location: Tuckahoe, NJ

History: Originally owned by the Great Northern Railway, No. 1139 This car was purchased for the Great Northern’s International and Red River trains. It has wide picture windows in comparison to the individual seat windows of the other ex-Great Northern cars. It has been restored as an excursion car and was part of the inaugural train into Cape May on December 18, 1998. It is very close in appearance to the Lackawanna RR 300 series streamlined coaches and therefore might be repainted in Lackawanna colors sometime in the future.


URHS 327
Builder: American Car & Foundary
Model: Coach, 60 Seat
Built: 1950
Storage Location: ?, NJ

History: Original owned as the Great Northern Railway, Nos. 1137 this car was purchased for the Great Northern’s ‘International’ and ‘Red River’ trains. It has wide picture windows in comparison to the individual seat windows of the other ex-Great Northern cars. It has been restored as an excursion car and was part of the inaugural train into Cape May on December 18, 1998. It is very close in appearance to the Lackawanna RR 300 series streamlined coaches and therefore might be repainted in Lackawanna colors sometime in the future.


URHS 329, 331, 332, 333, 334
Builder: American Car & Foundry
Model: Coach, 44 Seat
Built: 1953
Storage Location: 329 – Tuckahoe, NJ

History: Originally owned by the Union Pacific Railroad, Nos. 5487, 5469, 5470, 5471, 5477 these five cars were part of the 83 coaches purchased between 1950 and 1959 as a general program for renewal of passenger equipment on the Union Pacific. They were built with aluminum skin in lieu of the Corten Steel of the other excursion cars. The Union Pacific sold them to the Great Northern Railway who renumbered them in the 1000 to 1007 series. NJDOT purchased them from the Burlington Northern in 1972 and 1973. The cars were converted from 48 seat coaches to seating capacities of 106 or 108 per coach. They were last used in regular service in September 1987 and were donated to the museum collection in 1991. They have been rehabilitated with 1997 ISTEA funds to be used in excursion service.


Comet-1-PS

URHS 1714, 1776
Builder: Pullman Standard
Model: Coach, 102-130 Seat
Built: 1971
Storage Location: Boonton, NJ

History: Originally owned by New Jersey Department of Transportation as no’s 1714 & 1776 these two cars were part of the 155 coaches purchased between 1970 and 1973 as a general program for renewal of passenger equipment on the Erie Lackawanna. These cars were the first of the Comet series and were considered state of the art at the time, due to their all-aluminum body shell construction as well as their use of head-end power (HEP). Their automated entrance doors, designed for use with low platforms only, earned them the nickname “Sliders”. These cars were not rebuilt in the 1987 ADA access (hi-level doors) rebuild program and retained their low doors. New Jersey Transit retired the last of the Comet Is in early 2009 and donated these cars to the URHS in March 2006.


DLW 3200
Builder: Pullman Car and Manufacturing Company
Model: Coach, 82 Seat
Built: 1925
Storage Location: Boonton, NJ

History: Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad coach 300 was built in 1925 by Pullman with a “low roof”. It was converted to a MU trailer in 1930 and renumbered 2200. In 1961, it was renumbered 3200. Length of these cars is 70′ 6″ over buffers, and height is 13′ 0″. Weight is 109,400 lbs. DL&W contracted with the American Car and Foundry Company to rebuild the cars into electric trailer coaches for New Jersey suburban commuter service. Renumbered in 1950s to 3200 then to 3000. Part of the 1976 Conrail acquisition then to New Jersey Transit Authority in 1983. Acquired from NJ Transit in 19??


PRR 9286
Builder: Pennsylvania Railroad, Altoona Shops
Model: B-60b Express-Messenger-Baggage Car
Built: 1926
Storage Location: Boonton, NJ

History: This car was originally built by the Pennsylvania Railroad Altoona Shops as a simple 60 foot baggage car. But, in 1964, it was rebuilt as one of forty cars at the Altoona Shops as an express-messenger-baggage car with a toilet and locker for the messenger. It served through the Penn Central years and ended its career as a work-storage car for Metro North Railroad at Stamford, Connecticut. It was donated to the museum collection by Metro North and has been restored to it’s original appearance in 2007.


URHS 34064 Flat Car
Builder: Pullman Standard
Model: 70 Ton Flat Car
Built: 1957
Storage Location: Boonton, NJ

History: In 1957 Pullman Standard built ninety Cars, numbers 34000 through 34089 for the Boston & Maine Railroad. They are 53 foot 6 inches in length, IL flats with a welded steel under frame, wood deck floor and roller bearing trucks. This car was purchased by the Delaware Otsego Corporation for the Fonda Johnstown & Gloversville with the same number. It was donated to the collection by the New York, Susquehanna & Western Railway.


PRR 469521 Flat Car
Builder: PRR/General Steel Castings
Model: class F41
Built: betw Dec. ’55 & May ’56
Storage Location: Boonton, NJ

History: This car is class F41 built between December 1955 and May 1956. 500 were built and numbered #469500-469999. Another 200 #469300-469499 were built between November and December 1956. They had a capacity of 70 tons and were general service cars, 53′ 6” long over the end sills. The F41 were constructed on General Steel Castings’ integral cast steel under frames, and featured four cross bearers, compared to two previously used on the F30A and F30D. These cars were equipped with 16 stake pockets and 15 lading strap anchors on each side sill as well as four stake pocket and two lading strap anchors on each end sill and had a wooden floor with a deck height of 3” 5 1/8” above the rail. Many received racks for hauling auto frames or auto parts. At least one car #469585 was also modified with Invert- A-Bin racks for hauling sand. Although confused with Commonwealth cast steel flats ordered by dozens of other railroads the F41 was a unique design. Differing from the Commonwealth casting, the F41 featured a different bolster and end deck configuration, two exposed steel stringers that ran part way along the length of the deck inboard of the bolsters, and shallower end and side sill profile outboard of the bolsters. The F41 rode on ASF Ride Control A-3 trucks.


CNJ 24165 Box Car
Builder: American Car & Foundry
Model: 1944 AAR boxcar
Built: 1947
Storage Location: Boonton, NJ

CNJ_22650_ca_1956_MDV_coll-1History: One of 500 cars built and delivered to the Jersey Central in 1947. The main goal of the restoration is to bring out its as-built heritage since there are currently no restored CNJ boxcars in the State of New Jersey. This class of boxcar is significant as the 10’0” inside height cars haven’t been preserved in numbers. While the AAR had been building 10’6” Inside Height cars since 1942, the 1944-design models such as this were shorter to meet the needs of the Eastern roads, most of whom had exact copies of this model. The famous New York Central Pacemaker fleet were primarily of this design, as were 500 cars painted in the famous Route of Phoebe Snow billboards. Malt Products Corporation, Saddle Brook, NJ donated this car to the URHS collection. B&W 1956 photo at right – Michael J. Del Vecchio collection.


NYS&W 402
Builder: Pullman Standard
Model: PS-1
Built: November 1952
Storage Location: Boonton, NJ

History: This car was originally numbered 402 and was painted boxcar red. It was marked for Railway Express use and was equipped with steam lines for use in passenger trains. It was subsequently repainted in the yellow and black New York Susquehanna & Western Railroad scheme and still retained its 402 identity. It is unknown when it was renumbered to 526.


NYC 47002 Box Car
Builder: NYC – East Rochester shops
Model: Lot 895-B
Built: 9/19/60
Storage Location: Boonton, NJ

History: Lt wgt. 76,100 lbs., Length 50′ 6″, Height 10′ 6″. Original Owner: New York Central RR.


New York Central 48085
Builder: Despatch Shops
Lot: 931-B
Built: 1964
Storage Location: Boonton, NJ

History: 48085 is a 50′ 6″ all-steel, plug door, cushion underframe box car, built in 1964. It is one of 160 (numbered 48000-48159) built in lot 931-B by New York Central’s Despatch Shops in East Rochester, NY. It is currently in good condition and used as storage space in Boonton Yard. Plans are to paint this car to its as-built “Century Green” paint job with surplus paint from the NYC 4083 project.


Swift Refrigerator Line 25048
Builder: General American Transportation Company
Model: Mechanical Refrigerated Box Car
Built: May 1954
Storage Location: Boonton, NJ

History: This mechanical refrigerator car represents one of the final and most important stages in the evolution of the refrigerated box car. In 1878, Gustavus Swift, founder of the Chicago meatpacking company called Swift & Company, commissioned the designing of a new kind of freight car to carry butchered meat. The box car used large blocks of ice which, when deposited through roof hatches, would chill meat products on the floor below. While these were unpopular with railroads, who had invested significantly in stock cars to transport live animals, the “reefer” quickly caught on nationwide. By the 1920s, the Swift Refrigerator Line had over 7,000 reefer cars on rails across North America. In the 1930s, SRL was purchased by General American Transportation Co. who continued the “Swift’s Premium” Brand.

The URHS’s Swift reefer was built in 1954 in an order of about 50 cars. These cars differed from their predecessors because they were chilled by a diesel generator-driven refrigeration system, eliminating the process of loading cars with blocks of ice before every run. Inside, the car is intact as-built. The floor is covered by raised panels, which could be lifted to clean out condensation and droppings from the transported meat. The car also has wooden bars running the length of the ceiling which were used to hang dressed meats and carcasses. To keep the cold in, the reefer closes with ten-foot wide “plug door” which locks into placed with a complicated system of rollers, hinges, and latches. It is not easy to open and close, but nonetheless URHS volunteers currently use this car as a workshop for tools and storage. The car will soon be restored to its original appearance: metallic silver with the large red “Swift’s Premium” logo next to the door.


DL&W 19525 Covered Hopper Car
Builder: American Car & Foundry
Model:
Built: 1945
Storage Location: Boonton, NJ

History: This Delaware, Lackawanna & Western RR car was used in the Hoboken “MU” shed until 1998, when NJ Transit replaced it with a second-hand roller-bearing equipped covered hopper car. The pictured ex-Delaware, Lackawanna & Western RR car was used for sand storage at the Hoboken locomotive servicing facilities. It was donated to the collection by NJ Transit.


Erie 03125 Crane
Builder: Bucyrus
Model: 160 Ton Crane
Built: 1926
Storage Location: Whippany, NJ

History: Original Owner: Erie Railroad


Erie Lackawanna 45519 Boom Car
Builder:
Model:
Built:
Storage Location: Whippany, NJ

History: Original owned by the Lackawanna Railroad which later became the Erie Lackawanna Railroad. Pictured above with crane 03125. Can you help us with any more detail on the description of this car?


M&E 1 (DL&W 4)
Builder: DL&W RR Keyser Valley shops
Model: Class N – 4 wheel caboose, wt. 18,000 lbs
Built: 1901
Storage Location: Whippany, NJ

History: This caboose was last shopped by Kaiser Valley on 6-1932 by its original owner the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western RR and sometime thereafter was sold to the Morristown & Erie RR. After service on the M&E, No. 4 was moved to the Black River & Western RR. In 1993 the BR&W donated it to the URHS who moved it to the New Hope and Ivyland Railroad for temporary storage. In 1998 it was relocated to the Whippany Railway Museum and restored to M&E No. 1 by Steve Hepler and Charlie Berkemeyer.


Reading-Railroad-caboose-92887-May-2014-Boonton-NJ-Steve-Gerritsen

Reading 92887
Builder: Reading Company Shops – Reading PA
Model: Caboose NML
Built: March 1941
Storage Location: Boonton, NJ

History: Conrail assumed control of the Reading Company Railroad and the caboose became Conrail property as Number 18752. Conrail subsequently donated it to the New Jersey Transportation Heritage Center collection in 1989 through the efforts of Robert Bahrs.


AESX-2617-Staley-tank-car-June-2014-Steve-Gerritsen

AESX 2617
Builder:
Model: Tank Car
Built:
Storage Location: Boonton, NJ

History: AESX 2617 is an old A.E. Staley Manufacturing Co. tank car with friction bearing trucks. Donated by Malt Products Corporation, Saddle Brook, NJ to the New Jersey Transportation Heritage Center collection in 2008 through the efforts of ?.

 


Page last updated October 9, 2014.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>