In 2010 I was asked to assume the role of webmaster. Over time I have made many changes to enhance the website. Many of the changes over that time were the result of a lot of feedback from users.
Many cell phone friendly enhancements were added, the biggest of which is a WordPress format was adopted with a theme that adjusts the web page layout to user screen size. A few were dropped as they were little used.
Changes just implemented
- More open look white space added between items to communicate separation of topics.
- Bigger and clearer paragraph text. The size was not optimal for ALL of our audience.
- An image slideshow added of recently restored equipment. Changing to a slideshow allowed us to show many more pictures within a single image space on the page.
- facebook posts are now copied to the website; previously they were in a feed box
And now some geeky stuff…..
- Faster page loading – no one likes a site that takes a long time to load on a slow connection.
- On page images are now super compressed for less time for the page to load.
- Fewer posts per page for decreased page loading time and less scrolling.
- Homepage changed to be part of the WordPress blog allowing it to be edited by the board.
- PageSpeed score – 98 YSlow score – 88 Page Fully Loaded 0.70 seconds Size 1.46mb.
Hickory Creek / NYC 43 Report – NYC 43 is going to the New River Train in West Virginia for the fall foliage trips. (10/12/2017 leaving NJ, approximate return 11/1/2017 to New York Penn Station).
Yard Report – Help is needed in general yard clean-up prior yard visitors entering some areas.
Black River & Western Historical Trust – Regular trains, working towards re-opening the line to Lambertville.
North Jersey Electric Railway Historical Society – On 9/9/2017 hosted the NY Division of Electric Railway Association in Phillipsburg at Historian’s Engine house, twenty five Attendees. NJERHS to apply rust proofing to their Newark City Subway trolley #13 in Boonton within the next week.
The NY Susquehanna & Western Tech. & Hist. Soc. – Milford Mile coming up, Don Chaudruc (Trustee) will supply engine and caboose. Don Chaudruc’s group continuing to do track work in the Milford area. Corn Maize trains up and running.
Volunteer Railroaders Association – Will be participating in The 9th Annual Hawthorne Day on Saturday, September 23, 2017 on the grounds of the Municipal Pool located at the corner of Wagaraw Road and May Street from Noon until 8 pm – fireworks following the event.
Whippany Railway Museum – Caboose hops held 9/17/2017. They will run 17th Annual Pumpkin Festival train rides on 10/1/2017. The last Excursion Train Rides at the Whippany Railway Museum of the season run on 10/15/2017.
The Seashore Lines is working with the Volunteer Railroaders Assn. to operate motorcar excursions from the Cape May station. Trips will go as far as the Cape May Canal and there will be plenty of opportunities to get a close-up … Continue reading →
Erie Lackawanna Historical Society – Spring meeting set for April 2018, Waldwick NJ Erie station Restored.. Annually meeting in September in Utica, NY.
Black River and Western Historical Trust – July 22 & 23rd Mixed Freight Train on both days;details on their web page.
Liberty Historic Railway – Whitcomb 30T Locomotive – cosmetic restoration work is ongoing.
The NY Susquehanna & Western Tech. & Hist. Soc. – Thomas is at the Bel Del RR the first two weekends of July Friday, Saturday and Sundays. They are running Thomas and their River Train.
Tri-State Railway Historical Society Chapter of the NRHS – They had a good group of people come to the member day to see M&E C-424 19 and the URHS yard.. TriState has acquired a welder and a portable generator for their group’s restoration work efforts in Boonton.
Volunteer Railroaders Association – VRA signed a lease with Cap May RR to run the speeders and trailer cars. Plan is for four trips with a 12 person car and power car.
Whippany Railway Museum – Had their Father’s Day rides and there was a good turn out. Still working on caboose and other projects.